my one holiday recipe

December 8, 2011

I don’t like to bake.

I don’t measure, sift, or fold. I like to cook.

Big difference.

But I have one holiday [bakish] recipe in my arsenal that everyone loves.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

1 (14 ounce) package gingerbread mix

2 (1 ounce) packages, vanilla sugar-free, fat-free instant pudding mix

3 cups cold skim milk

1 (15 ounce) can solid packed pumpkin

¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

¼ teaspoon ground ginger

2 ½ cups fat-free Cool  Whip

½ cup gingersnaps, roughly crushed

Bake the gingerbread according to package directions; cool completely.

Place milk in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add pudding mixes while mixer is running. Beat for 2 minutes on high-speed. Chill pudding in refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes. Add pumpkin and spices to pudding and stir well. Set aside.

To assemble trifle, crumble ½ of the gingerbread in the bottom or trifle bowl. Gently spread ½ of pudding mixture over gingerbread. Spread 1 ¼ cup of Cool Whip on top of pudding. Repeat layers one more time. Sprinkle crushed gingersnaps over the Cool Whip topping for garnish.

Refrigerate overnight and/or chill until ready to serve. Serves 12.

You can also get really cutesy with it and makes these individual trifles which I did one year in martini glasses.

I promise these will be a huge hit and it’s pretty!! I know we all say looks don’t count but c’mon they totally do! 😉

Do you have a signature holiday dish?

1. December 8, 2011 9:18 am

wow that looks delicious!!! that is a good signature dish to have! I must say I’m the opposite. I looove to bake, but cooking is very hit or miss for me! Only works out some of the time, so like you, I do have my safety go to dishes too! except def not as pretty.

2. December 8, 2011 9:29 am

Yum! Anything with Cool Whip is okay with me!

3. December 8, 2011 9:55 am

Everytime someone makes a trifle it reminds me of that episode of Friends. Yours looks WAY better than that one though. 🙂

4. December 8, 2011 10:28 am

Yep, I’m stealing this recipe and making a tub full of it. I might share, but probably not.

• December 9, 2011 1:58 am

I suggest not sharing. Screw the holiday spirit! haha! 🙂

5. December 8, 2011 10:38 am

This looks delicious!

6. December 8, 2011 10:53 pm

I love trifles! My mom used to make them every year, too – but I’ve never tried on on my own. Yours looks delicious!

7. December 12, 2011 1:36 am

can you please ship me some?! I’m desperate! haha. SOO GOOD!

1. christmas cookie HIIT « What Kelly Said