hello lover

July 12, 2011
tags:

Excuse me, do we have any granola lovers out there? There are? Good because I like me some granola too. What I don’t like is the ridiculously small serving size for the calories and fat in granola. I mean how many of you actually eat a 1/4 cup serving? If you say you do, then you’re lying.

So here is it…my version of granola that I eat waaaay more than 1/4 cup at a time:

Homemade Granola

• 4 cups oats
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3/4ย cup brown sugar
  • 3 T. honey or molasses
  • 1 T. cinnamon
  • 1 T. almond (or vanilla) extract
  • 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds (or any nut of your choice)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put oats in a microwaveable bowl and cook for two minutes, stirring after one (this warms the oats helping to melt all the ingredients together).

Add remaining ingredients and stir until very well blended.

Pour mixture ย into two large baking sheets and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring 3 or 4 times.

Do you have a good granola recipe out there for me to try?
  1. July 12, 2011 6:45 am

I LOVE granola. I made a blueberry chocolate granola that i definitely ate more than a 1/4 of a serving at a time!

2. July 12, 2011 6:58 am

I completely agree, those small servings are quite ridiculous! Check out this recipe on my blog, http://amazingasset.com/2011/03/15/confession-and-a-healthy-granola-recipe/
    It’s quite healthy and tasty, AND a big serving size ๐Ÿ˜€

3. July 12, 2011 7:48 am

I agree with you on the small servings! It’s ridiculous! And even the “low fat” granola has a ridiculous amount of sugar… I’m wired by the time I get half way through breakfast…

4. July 12, 2011 7:51 am

ooo I love love love granola, but like you said, the serving sizes are always SO small! I usually just combine it with other cereals.

5. July 12, 2011 8:31 am

I am ABSOLUTELY a granola lover! It’s best as a topper I find because you’re right, 1/4 of a cup just won’t do it for me.

I just bought some last night. I wish I had time to make my own but alas, I don’t ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Yours looks awesome.

6. July 12, 2011 8:51 am

I have never made granola and I agree that 1/4 cup is a ridiculous serving — too small!

7. July 12, 2011 9:46 am

This looks so delicious and simple! Love!

8. July 12, 2011 10:13 am

I love granola, but I’ve never made my own and Im far too cheap to buy it. Its a very rare treat in my house. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. July 12, 2011 10:18 am

Love this! I made some granola for my dad- healthy and salt-free. I love making granola since, like you said, it’s usually loaded with sugar and fat and way overpriced! And it’s just so easy to make. I looooooooooove your recipe. I like the addition of flax!

10. July 12, 2011 10:20 am

Love homemade granola, I haven’t made it in forever, thanks for the yummy looking recipe!

11. July 12, 2011 10:40 am

I’m a total granola lover! I love making my own because the pre-packaged stuff can be ridiculously expensive.

12. July 12, 2011 11:27 am

Yum! I can’t wait to try this!

Serving sizes are ridiculous! Like cereal? Most are 1 cup servings…um, for me, it’s more like 3 bowls! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• July 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Exactly! Cereal is a serious addiction! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. July 12, 2011 2:09 pm

I’m so glad u posted this! I was looking for a homemade granola recipe to cut out some of the fat and sugar you get in the store-bought brands!

14. Camilla permalink
    July 12, 2011 4:31 pm

YUM!! Looks great! When I first saw the title I thought of Carrie from SATC ๐Ÿ˜€

15. July 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Looks so good! Whenever I see a granola recipe post, I always end up making a batch myself that night…looks like I’ll be baking tonight lol

16. July 12, 2011 6:15 pm

I agree–the whole tiny serving thing is ridiculous. Granola is way too delicious to eat such a small amount in one sitting!

17. July 12, 2011 11:06 pm

The serving sizes are ridiculous for granola and that’s why I never eat : 0. I’m gonna have to try this one!

Katie : )