i am coconut over coconut

February 5, 2013

Hey! Hey!

Random middle of the week blog post? Why not. Not too much is going on aside from the fact that I caught a cold from hell. No seriously, straight from hell. Thankfully it wasn’t the flu but dang I felt awful.

Fever. Stuffy nose. Sore throat. Cough. Headache. Jaw ache. The works.

You know how when you just feel so bad that you can’t do anything. You can’t eat, can’t sleep, can’t breathe? I cried. A lot.  A whole lot. I turn into a big ole baby when I am sick. I wallow and I wallow hard.

I am finally on the upswing. Thank goodness. Not 100% but waaaaaay better than I was this past weekend. Whew.

But before I got sick I made the best {of 2013} recipe. Ready?

Coconut

Flour

Tortillas.

They were amazing. Grain-Free and Gluten-Free and so good! I meant to post these here but got sick and well…..

Coconut Flour Tortillas (with helpful notes)

6 egg whites

1/4 cup coconut flour

1/4 cup coconut milk

1/2 tsp each cumin and garlic powder

1/4 tsp of each salt and crushed red pepper

Blend everything in a blender for 20 seconds. Transfer into a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to let the batter get thick. If it gets too thick add a splash of water.

Heat a nonstick skillet and pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet. Use the backside of a flat rubber spatula to spread the batter thin. Cook until the top of the batter is not sticky to the touch. Flip and cook another minute until done.

Lay it on a paper towel and make the next one. Layer a paper towel in-between each one as they cool.

Makes 6

Per Tortilla: 46 Calories, 1g Fat, 3.5g Carbs, 4g Protein

These are so good! Keith LOVES them too. They stay together and roll up and actually get even better (and firmer) the next day. But store them in the refrigerator.

I made a huge batch the other day and it has been a fiesta in our house ever since! ha! I am working on a coconut flour pizza crust. Stay tuned.

Do you like coconut flour?

How do you use it?

1. February 5, 2013 3:51 pm

Why do I have to be allergic to coconut!?!?!? WHY?? I have been seeing all these amazing recipes with coconut milk, oil, flour…sigh. What would you sub you think? I have gf all purpose flour and maybe hemp or rice milk?

• February 5, 2013 3:52 pm

Try it!! You could use almond milk instead of coconut milk and I am sure any other flour would work. Report back!!

• February 5, 2013 7:33 pm

Just a tip–coconut flour absorbs more moisture than gluten-free all purpose flours (in my experience, anyway), so you may want to add a touch more flour if you’re allergic to coconut. I feel for you!

2. Stephanie permalink
    February 5, 2013 4:17 pm

Have you found a good deal on it anywhere? I have only seen Bob’s Red Mill brand for about 6.48 for what looks like about 4 cups worth of flour.

• February 5, 2013 4:20 pm

I buy it at Natural Grocer. It is $4.99 for 4 cups of flour. It’s the cheapest I’ve found.

3. February 5, 2013 4:19 pm

My husband and I were just talking about trying to make these yesterday! And now I have a recipe. Thank you!

4. Anne Jasinski permalink
    February 5, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Kelly- what do u usually serve these with? They look awesome!

• February 5, 2013 6:04 pm

I fill them with chicken, salsa, cheese…just like a normal soft taco!!

5. February 5, 2013 5:53 pm

OMG everyone is sooooo coconut over coconut these days! It’s actually quite funny. My mom is UTTERLY OBSESSED! Every time I talk to her it’s always coconut this, coconut that. I actually really hate the taste of coconut, so that’s kind of a problem! LOL!

6. February 5, 2013 7:34 pm

Did you use canned coconut milk or the kind in the refrigerator?

• February 5, 2013 7:58 pm

I used the one in the fridge. The So Delicious brand.

7. February 6, 2013 10:07 am

To answer your question on my blog, we aren’t really concerned about her head, but it could be a lot of things…some of which are bad. If you look on the internet (Brent did) there’s lots of scary stuff, so we’re just going to stop looking online and assume she just has a lumpy head. 🙂

8. February 9, 2013 1:56 pm

Wow, those do look good! Can you taste the coconut?

• February 9, 2013 6:14 pm

Stacie, not really. The spices cover it up but the coconut flavor is there but it isn’t strong at all. Does that make sense?

9. January 25, 2014 11:57 pm

These are good, a very nice replacement for flour or corn tortillas, but after the 2nd time making them, they are pretty difficult to make, and rather expensive when you think about using 6 eggs (we only use pastured).
    But thank you for the recipe for when we feel the great need for tortillas!