olympic ending

August 13, 2012

I am so sad that the Olympics are over. Seriously. Sad. I love the Olympics. I love competition. I love the back stories. I love the pride that comes with competing for your country.

I think the Olympics are so special. I will always love them. I will always think they are spectacular.

The highlight moment for me was watching Keri Walsh-Jennings and Misty May-Treanor win their third (and final) olympic gold medal. I teared up a little when they were giving their post-win interview on the side of the court. It was so special. I got to see them live when they came to Austin on tour back in 2004. I have followed them ever since.

Another top highlight for me was watching Michael Phelps. I just love him. I think he is such a talented athlete and I was rooting for him to make history. I am so glad he did. I can not image how it must feel to be the world’s most successful Olympian OF.ALL.TIME.

I was also excited to see Sandra Richards-Ross to win the 400 meter dash. Isn’t her reaction priceless? I can’t imagine what being the best in the world in one event would feel like. She waited four years for this moment after taking silver in Beijing. I can only imagine that I would react as she did.

I also loved witnessing the special moments between athletes. They all supported one another. They all, while competing, still have a deep respect for their competitors and it was very inspiring. It makes me keep the faith in the goodness of people. Loved this moment:

And let’s not forget the first Saudi Arabian woman who competed. She may not have won, but she was there. That is huge. HUGE. I was proud for her. As a woman, I was happy. What a step forward for that country!

I’m sad. Really sad. If I was an Olympian I think I would be a little depressed. It’s over and now we have another four years to wait. Sigh.

But at least football season is on the horizon. C’mon Peyton…make it better for me! 😉

What was the highlight of the Olympics for you?

1. August 13, 2012 7:28 am

Every time the damn gymnastics comes on, I’m like a waterworks. I cannot stop crying!

• August 13, 2012 8:18 am

I wasn’t that into gymnastics that much this year. I feel like I really liked gymnastics when I was a kid and now as an adult it doesn’t appeal to me as much.

2. Paula permalink
    August 13, 2012 7:53 am

I loved the Olympics too, such an emotional event! I think London did well! I enjoed Phelps performances too a lot!

3. August 13, 2012 8:43 am

The women’s 4 x 100m & 4 x 400m … good lord those women are FAST! Allyson Felix’s win. The men’s 4 x 100m. Yeah Jamaica took it but we kept it close. Closer than I thought it would be, especially with Bolt as the anchor. And Rupp’s killer kick in the 10k to end up with the silver. I had chills watching that one. A bit T&F obsessed this year, I think haha.

4. August 13, 2012 9:43 am

Haha, I love how much you love the Olympics!

• August 13, 2012 6:02 pm

I am pretty much obsessed with all sporting events so the Olympics are like crack to me! I even scared my dog a few times because I was screaming so loud for Michael Phelps! Ha!

5. August 13, 2012 9:56 am

I am sad too Kelly! But man am I excited to actually be in bed before 10 again! I’ve been dragging for the last couple weeks! I loved watching the interview with Walsh and May. I was bawling…. haha I am so emotional though! Nate was giving me so much heck, but watching the emotion on Walsh’s face. She couldn’t even talk! ahh sooooo inspiring.

6. August 13, 2012 10:12 am

I can’t believe they’re over already!! They were fun to watch and especially inspiring…gymnastics, swimming, and running events were my favorite to watch.

7. August 13, 2012 12:29 pm

I LOVED watching the Olympics too. This year was even more exciting for me, as I will be attending the Paralympics in London in two weeks. It was neat watching the Olympics knowing I will be there at those same venues, watching super human athletes compete.

8. August 13, 2012 2:35 pm

The beach volleyball was my fav! The rhythmic gymnastics I didn’t get…I’m sad too but agree that at least there’s football!

9. August 14, 2012 6:10 pm

I loved watching volleyball too and when they won I was so happy for them. Watching the men’s 5/10k was special. The other race I really enjoyed and glued to my TV for was the men’s marathon. For the Uganda man who won and really just had such a great race. I love the Olympics as well. Can’t they happen all the time! 😉

10. August 23, 2012 12:22 am

I loved watching the girls win the gymnastics and then Gabby winning. I also loved the look on Carmelita Jones’ face when the 4×100 broke the world record. Of course my favorite part was probably David Boudia winning gold for Purdue, I mean the US. I didn’t know the outcome to it (or any of the events, hooray for not having a smart phone!), so it was so exciting to watch!