a regular cold front

October 4, 2011

What do you do in Texas when the high is only 87 degrees?

Make Chili of course!

That’s a regular cold front compared to the 90+ days of over 100 degree heat we’ve had this year.

Classic Beef  Chili

1 pound lean ground beef

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 Tbsp. chili powder

1 Tbsp. cumin

1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 sweet onion, chopped

1/4 cup diced green chilies

2 Tbsp. tomato paste

In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium-high heat, until browned. Drain. Add chili powder and cumin; stir.

Combine tomatoes, beans, onion, chilies, and tomato paste in slow cooker; stir in beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended. Makes 6 (1 cup) servings.

What recipe sceams fall to you?

1. October 4, 2011 7:40 am

Hahaha….my mom was saying the same thing about Shreveport. I’m going home tomorrow, and yesterday she said, “It’s REALLY been cooling down here!” I checked the temps, and the high was still 85 degrees. Crazy lady. 🙂

2. October 4, 2011 8:11 am

Yes. Chili. Mmmm.

3. October 4, 2011 8:51 am

I have never made my own chili. This needs to change! Looks awesome!

4. October 4, 2011 9:07 am

I love chili. Its the perfect food for fall. I made some this weekend and I’ve already had it for lunch and two dinners. 🙂

5. October 4, 2011 9:13 am

Of course! It’s the only thing one can do. Yours looks great. You should check my recently blogged veggie chilli out – its yum.

6. October 4, 2011 9:23 am

I have never been a big fan of chili, but any kind of soup or stew is definitely a fall meal for me!

7. October 4, 2011 9:44 am

Not only have I never made chili, I’ve also never eaten it. Perhaps I should try.

• October 4, 2011 11:45 am

I can’t believe you have never even tried chili! Kelly…we need to remedy that soon!

8. October 4, 2011 11:10 am

I’m planning on making some chili tonight — I love chili and it totally screams Fall to me. So does apple crisp — which reminds me that I need to make some of that soon too.

9. October 4, 2011 11:16 am

It is DEFINITELY getting to be chili weather! I can’t wait to make a big pot some weekend soon (though it’s supposed to heat up again so that might not happen as soon as I’d like). Either way, this looks awesome 🙂

10. October 4, 2011 11:20 am

So true about the temps! When I was leaving for college from the Houston area, my boyfriend and I were aghast that the temperature was going UP as we were going north. I go to college in the Dallas area and it was so incredibly miserable up here. I remember when we got a cool front that it was going to be in the mid 90s I was so happy.

11. October 4, 2011 3:18 pm

I love your cold front 🙂

We are having a “warm front” – it’s up to 65 today! woo! And it’s getting into the 70s the remainder of the week – Hot Damn!

When I think of fall I always think of pumpkin recipes…pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin lattes…mm!

12. October 4, 2011 5:46 pm

I’ll take my chili without any beans please 🙂 PS– 80-ish degrees makes SUCH A HONKIN difference from the 100 degree temps! I can’t wait until it gets 60s-70s consistently!!!! It’s getting close to gumbo weather 🙂

13. October 4, 2011 7:18 pm

i wish it was 87 here! it’s been super cold in VA – way colder than it should be. i made soup this week and chili last week! 🙂

14. October 4, 2011 7:37 pm

We’re having chili for dinner tomorrow night and I can’t wait. Love some chili. Your recipe sounds delicious.

1. Halloween 2011