one of my favorite sandwiches

August 25, 2011

Yesterday taught me two things. First, that I am jealous of most of you and, second, I have a plethora of guests rooms to crash. Does anyone mind if I bring Keith? 😉

Today we are hitting 108. That record we broke yesterday is going to be smashed by the time this year is over. I will try not to complain too much more about it.

Try being the important word.

I am really trying not to be a Debbie downer and always talk about the weather but it effects everything.

Want to go running? Okay but we have to go at 5:30am. It will still be mid 80’s with about 70% humidity.

Electric bill? Here’s a hint…open the bill sitting down.

My yard? Wow. We haven’t seen measurable rainfall in who knows how long. My yard is dead, our lake levels are 30+ feet low, and we are on severe water rations. Meaning we can only water one day a week. One.

Want to go out to eat? Can’t sit outside.

Want to go on  a walk after dinner? We don’t drop below 100 degrees until close to 8:00pm and when I say below 100 degrees I mean we hit 99.

Okay. I know. You. Get. It.

I need to try harder not to talk about it. Let’s start over.

Hiiiiii.

Happy Thursday. That’s better, right?

You know what I am going to do today? I am going to make one of my all time favorite sandwiches.

A Tomato and Peanut Butter Sandwich.

Wait! Wait! Stop! It is reallllly good. I promise!

Now don't go "EEEWWW!!" before you try this!. Photo by KellyMae (Source)

Tomato & Peanut Butter Sandwich

• 1 slice toast (rye,whole wheat, bagel, etc…)
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 3-4 thick slices of tomato
  • pepper
  • salt

Spread peanut butter on hot toast. Completely cover the toast with tomato slices. Sprinkle liberally with black pepper, and add just a bit of salt, if desired. Eat!

I am already excited for lunch.

But I won’t be eating outside.

Do you have a weird sandwich combination that you swear by?

1. August 25, 2011 7:29 am

I hear ya! 115 here yesterday, seriously. Going outside felt like a convection oven being left on. Our electric bill are on “auto pay” where they are the same all year. Totally necessary here in AZ, I am SO happy we have it this year! I am also grateful for our at home gym with elliptical, treadmill, spin bike, yoga room, you catch my drift. Not necessary to go outside (although it would be nice) for exercise. Your sandwich looks yummy, something quick and easy, no oven necessary, yes! My weird combo ( I am the queen of them), popcorn with protein powder sprinkled on top with a few chopped up pieces of Bakers Chocolate. Somehow I rationalize that the protein powder makes the snack more “healthy”. Meanwhile I get the “what the heck are you eating” look from my husband. Whatever, I like it! Stay cool!

2. August 25, 2011 7:33 am

That is definitely an interesting sandwich combo! I’m not really into large tomatoes, the texture gets to me, but I am working on it! Baby steps. 😉 I don’t have any weird combos for sandwiches, but I have done the Wendy’s fries in a Frosty thing! Surprisingly good!

3. August 25, 2011 7:45 am

That sounds… bizarre. I’m sorry about the weather, I hope it breaks soon! Also, I nearly had a heart attack when I opened our electric bill this month.

• August 25, 2011 8:07 am

HA! I am also a big fan of almond butter and swiss cheese sandwiches. I know. I am totally odd.

4. Stephanie permalink
    August 25, 2011 7:57 am

Wow that looks interesting. How did you come up with that one? Lol

Did you hear that Ben is going to be the next bachelor? Ugh. I was hoping for Ryan. Oh well.

• August 25, 2011 8:06 am

I did hear that. I am bummed. I wasn’t ever really a Ben fan. I didn’t find him to be very attractive and I thought he was a little boring. I was hoping for Nickey. I really liked him and thought he showed a lot of class by sending himself home when Ashley couldn’t seem to get over Bentley. Eh…you know I will still watch though. 😉

5. August 25, 2011 8:13 am

I’m going to try that…it sounds good! I have tomatoes at home I need to use 🙂

I always enjoy a peanut butter pickle sandwich…I love the saltiness!

• August 25, 2011 11:06 am

Peanut butter and pickles?? ha! I am going to give that one a go! 🙂

6. August 25, 2011 8:20 am

I love peanut butter more than most people, but I have to say I’m skeptical of this sandwich.

7. August 25, 2011 8:45 am

This sandwich – no can do. Two great tastes just not meant to go together. But, weatherwise – totally with you. 100+ everyday is really cramping my training for Tough Mudder. Guess I’m not as tough as I thought. Enjoying your blog Kelly – way to go!

8. August 25, 2011 9:02 am

Ok I have no idea if I’d like this sandwich or not. I can’t make my mind up about tomatoes — sometimes I really like them and sometimes I can’t stand them.

The strangest sandwich I’ve made is a mashed banana/avocado sandwich which was surprisingly good!

I hear you on the weather — we had a 2 weeks of 100+ degree days and it was horrible. I know what you mean about not being able to run outside, eat outside, etc. And you start sweating really badly as soon as you walk outside. I felt like I needed 20 showers per day.

9. August 25, 2011 9:04 am

For some reason I couldn’t comment yesterday. You probably don’t want to know what the weather is like here anyway.

That sandwich combo is crazy, but it may actually be good. I will definitely try it.

10. August 25, 2011 9:12 am

Whhat?! Ok, I hate tomatoes so I’m probably biased, but that’s definitely up there with one of the craziest combos I’ve heard of. 😉 Although I’ve been known to eat same crazy things too.

• August 25, 2011 11:05 am

I know…but I also like almond butter and swiss cheese sandwiches! heh!

11. Jan Fullington permalink
    August 25, 2011 9:15 am

This looks amazing. As you probably have noticed I’ve made a real lifestyle change. Yoga and diet. I love all foods except sweets(thx god). Can’t wait to try this. How could this possibly be anything but delish, and very satisfying. I love you’re blogs.xo

12. August 25, 2011 10:34 am

hmm my mom would put mayo on toast for us when we were little. Oh and we would roll up cold cuts and dip them into ketchup.

13. August 25, 2011 11:34 am

I have never even seen this combo before but I’m totally intrigued and need to try it!

14. August 25, 2011 2:30 pm

haha what an interesting combo… i love both tomatoes and peanut butter but can’t imagine them together! I am no picky eater though and I try anything, so I will try before judging 😉

15. August 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Yeah, you should definitely come to Boston. I actually didn’t want to get up in the middle of the night to pee, because I was in my warm comfy bed, and it was too chilly. (FYI: we don’t have air conditioning).

16. August 25, 2011 4:51 pm

I’m sorry about your weather! that would be so frustrating. Just think…fall is on the way!!

Also, that sandwich has me interested. I would try it, but I don’t even like tomatoes. Maybe the addition of PB with them would change that? We’ll see….

17. August 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Genius. I used to eat tomato and mustard sandwiches with black pepper ALL the time growing up. I will definitely be doing the PB combo. Probably with Almond Butter though! 🙂

18. July 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Kelly — I’m making a video for my Mom’s 95th birthday party. Can I use your photo of the peanut butter and tomato sandwich? That’s one of her favorites. In the video I have “www.whatkellysaid.com” in the lower right hand corner when that photo is on the screen. Hope that will be OK with you? It’s not for commercial use, just for our family.

1. His and Her Dinners |