one for the books

August 8, 2011

This weekend was great! Just as great as last weekend. Two in a row…I like this streak! On Friday afternoon Keith and I went to see The Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It was AWESOME! I love the very original Planet of the Apes (um…the black and white version) and this was the prequel of that movie on how the world came to be inhabited by mostly apes. Keith and I both agreed it was really good. And James Franco was great in it!

On Saturday Keith and I had the pleasure of honoring a special guest at our house for a cookout. Who? My mama! It was her birthday weekend!! For her birthday feast we grilled asparagus, garnet yams and the star of the show, margarita chicken! All of this was per mom’s request. I love her choices! Margarita chicken is what I liked to call my signature dish. It has actually won a few awards and been featured in Taste of Home. To see  to my award winning recipe go here. I promise it is worthy! Trust me. 😉

After we polished off dinner we watch another James Franco movie (that was 2 in a row for me and Keith) 127 Hours. Oh. My. Goodness. That was a great movie. I can totally see why James Franco was nominated for an Academy Award. And wow, a true story about Aron Ralston…he is an amazing man! Have you seen this movie?

And that, my friends, was my fantastic weekend. It just doesn’t get much better than good movies, good food and great company!!

What did you do this weekend?

Have you seen either of the movies above?

Do you have a recipe that you consider to be your signature dish?

1. August 8, 2011 7:02 am

I saw 127 Hours in the theater and thought it was excellent. James Franco did a great job considering he was in one place almost the entire movie and he still managed to capture the audience’s attention, at least in my opinion. I honestly felt like I’d been through something traumatic after it was over.

2. August 8, 2011 7:36 am

We saw Planet of the Apes this weekend too!! A fun one! And 127 Hours– how crazy is that movie?!? We saw it in the theaters, which was a little…intense 🙂

• August 8, 2011 8:39 am

Oh I can only imagine how intense that would have been on the big screen!

3. August 8, 2011 7:53 am

We just watched 127 hours over the weekend too — I was so impressed and I too thought Franco did an excellent job in that movie!

4. August 8, 2011 8:04 am

I’ve seen 127 hours and loved it. It takes a good actor to carry a movie with himself and a rock. I guess an amazing triumphant true story helps too!

• August 8, 2011 9:48 am

I was a little apprehensive about watching a movie with basically a one man cast but he rocked it! I thought it was really well done and just amazing what you can endure when you are fighting for you life.

5. August 8, 2011 8:09 am

Loveddd 127 hours, I’ve seen it twice now. Such an incredible story!

6. August 8, 2011 9:18 am

I saw 127 Hours w/ Allison for our Academy Award movie marathon – thought it was amazing! Thanks for all the birthday wishes!!

7. August 8, 2011 9:43 am

I sort of want and don’t want to see 127 Hours. I think it’s an amazing story. But seeing all the things he goes through? Eeeehhhh… I’m not so good with that stuff. Even if it is James Franco- my love…

8. August 8, 2011 11:20 am

I havent seen 127 Hours yet. I really want to, but I feel like I have to be in the exact right mood to wath it.

9. greensandjeans permalink
    August 8, 2011 12:59 pm

127 hours was so intense! I’ve read that book too, such a fascinating story.

10. August 8, 2011 3:11 pm

ooo I want to see both of those movies!

11. August 8, 2011 5:50 pm

I just saved that recipe to my favorites- can’t wait to try it!!

12. August 8, 2011 7:37 pm

ahh, your margarita chicken! I need to make this. You should make it into a casserole!

13. August 8, 2011 10:24 pm

Yep- watched 127 hours a few days before we went hiking in the Grand Canyon… thank goodness I said something about hiking overnight!!!! lol

14. August 8, 2011 10:55 pm

We watched 127 Hours this weekend, too! Amazing story! Even though I knew the outcome, it was amazing to watch him go through the 5 days of being trapped. And it wasn’t too gross, either.

15. Kim permalink
    August 9, 2011 9:34 pm

You know my feeling on Planet of the Apes….127 hours great movie! Fred and Bella are both avid rock climbers so it hit kinda close to home!