it’s a hot hot summer, yo!

June 29, 2011

It is hot in Texas right now. Like HOT. Yesterday at my 9:00AM bootcamp class it was hot. 9:00am people! When it is that hot outside I don’t want to eat anything hot. Not oatmeal, hot coffee, or anything that packs heat when cooked. I am basically living off a raw diet right now. I kid, I kid, kinda. But one of the best summer dishes and one that Keith craves is my fruit salsa. It is awesome and perfect mixed with cottage cheese, yogurt, pita chips, or just eaten straight out of the bowl with a spoon. That seems to be the preferred method in my house as of late.

Summer Fruit Salsa

• 4 kiwis
  • 2 apples
  • 1 container raspberries
  • 1 container of strawberries
  • 2-4 Tbsp. of your favorite jam/jelly (any flavor)
  • Cinnamon, to taste

Dice all the fruit and mix together. Stir in jam and cinnamon. Chill for at least 4 hours and then GO TO TOWN!

If you have a good summer (COLD) recipe for me please share!

1. June 29, 2011 7:00 am

Haha I live on yogurt, smoothies and fruit in the summer! I can’t imagine what it’s like there when I think it’s hot here! That looks delish 🙂

2. June 29, 2011 7:01 am

I LOVE fruit salsa!! Seriously the best thing ever.

3. June 29, 2011 7:07 am

You know, I’ve never had fruit salsa before! This is my favorite summertime recipe. It’s great for taking to parties and stuff – http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/avocado-feta-salsa/detail.aspx

4. Amy permalink
    June 29, 2011 8:48 am

Hey! I threw this together last night cause it was all we had for a side. COLD cucumber, avocado, thinly sliced red onions, cilantro, little drizzle of olive oil, lots of fresh lime juice, and salt and pepper! Very easy and refreshing!

5. June 29, 2011 9:27 am

Mmm yum, that does sound refreshing and delicious.

6. June 29, 2011 10:02 am

You probably don’t want to eat what I have had the last few evenings – a root beer float. Ha! Brent’s mom made homemade ice cream on Father’s Day and we’ve had leftovers. 🙂 Thank goodness I finished it off last night.

• June 29, 2011 11:05 am

Homemade ice cream would be hard to say no to!! YUM!

7. June 29, 2011 11:01 am

Yum. I dont like to eat anything warm when its hot out either. Sadly, we havent had that issue this year. Theres been maybe one hot day, and it wasnt hot so much as it was slightly warmer than warm.

8. June 29, 2011 11:15 am

This sounds really good…definitely have to try!

Katie : )

9. June 29, 2011 1:57 pm

I spent the last 2 HOT days playing tour guide around Sea World for some out of town company. Jealous?

I’m eating watermelon like it’s going out of style lately. Nothing beats cold watermelon on a hot day.

10. June 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Love this! I had no idea fruit salsa was so easy. I’m going to make it this weekend!! 🙂

11. June 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Kelly, what a wonderful recipe! I live on fresh, cold foods in the summer, anything warm is not appealing

12. June 29, 2011 6:44 pm

It is HOTTT!!! I feel like i’m getting sunburnt walking from my car to the place where i’m going! I love fruit and i love salsa (even though isn’t exactly salsa!) what could be better?!

13. June 30, 2011 5:33 am

I love the idea of fruit salsa! That looks delicious. I also love cold breakfasts and right now I live on cereal with fruit and milk or cereal mixed with greek yogurt and fruit. Cool and tasty! 🙂

14. June 30, 2011 6:22 am

Um, yum! This sounds delicious and it just might be the perfect recipe to bring to a 4th of july get together.

1. i am summer for mangoes « What Kelly Said