disgusted

February 2, 2012

On January 31, 2012 the Susan G. Komen Foundation, a longtime supporter of Planned Parenthood by way of grants for mammograms and breast cancer screenings, primarily for low-income women, pulled their funding and cut ties with the largest women’s’ health organization in the US.

This is shameful. I am so disgusted by this announcement that I don’t even know where to begin. First off, I am a huge believer and supporter of Planned Parenthood. Unfortunately the name “Planned Parenthood” has become synonymous with the word “abortion.”  And while Planned Parenthood does perform abortions is does so much more for the communities it serves.

They provide family planning in the way of condoms and birth control. They provide yearly annual exams for women without health insurance. They provide breast ultrasounds, mammograms and breast checks. Something like 200,000 women use Planned Parenthood for mammograms and breast exams and now because the Susan G. Komen foundation is cutting ties and therefore no longer sending funds these women will suffer. Why Why Why would an organization determined to help eradicate breast cancer stop helping an organization that offers these valuable and potentially life saving services to women?

This just stinks all around. Is this really about finding a cure? Is the way to do that by cutting off funding, thereby isolating thousands upon thousands of women requiring Planned Parenthood’s services?

I am so so so disappointed and the “powers that be” at Susan G. Komen you should be ashamed of yourself!

What do you think about this?

Since this is a potentially sensitive topic please be respectful in the comment section. Thanks!

1. February 2, 2012 7:08 am

I think it’s quite sad. They both support the same general cause of women’s health and should support each other. With all the protest about the decision, though, I won’t be surprised if they take back that decision.

2. Nancy permalink
    February 2, 2012 8:57 am

That is so unfortunate. I went to Planned Parenthood for about 5 or 6 years when I was younger. To get my annual exams and birth control. I wonder if this means it’ll be leaving Canada as well.

• February 2, 2012 9:06 am

I remember when I graduated college and got a job I had a 90 day waiting period before my health benefits would kick it…I used Planned Parenthood to get my birth control pills. They are an organization that does a lot for women and I think this is just awful that people can’t see past the abortion label and also see what great things they do for communities they serve.

3. February 2, 2012 9:31 am

I honestly didn’t know PP proveded all of those free services! Looks like I need to inform myself a little better instead of making judgement based on media. Thanks for making me more aware of all the good they do!

4. February 2, 2012 11:48 am

I honestly don’t know enough about any of it to form an opinion. I hadn’t heard anything about any of this until now.

5. February 2, 2012 11:49 am

Honestly I cannot STAND Susan G. Komen Foundation. It is the WORST organization out there, IN MY opinion. I will never donate to them. Out of all of the money they raise, they barely give any thing back to research.
    Here’s proof: http://www2.guidestar.org/organizations/75-1835298/susan-g-komen-breast-cancer-foundation-national-office.aspx
    I used to donate to them ALL of the time, as well as run races that they organized..not any more. This is coming from someone that is effected by breast cancer in all ways- my grandmother died from it, my biological mother had it (is in remission) & I am BRCA positive, so I have an 80% chance of having it at some point in my life. I would never go to Susan G. Komen for ANY kind of support. It makes me SO upset at how they handle all of this. I hope I am not offending anyone, but as you can tell by my comment, they severely upset me.

6. February 2, 2012 12:05 pm

I couldn’t agree more with you Kelly. Another example of short sighted right wing nut cases trying to control women. Next time you run into one of these pompous beings spouting glossolalia about abortion, ask them how many children they have personally adopted. Or better yet, ask them how much they intend to donate to the poor mother who doesn’t have the means to care for the child.

7. February 2, 2012 1:22 pm

My great-aunt battled breast cancer on and off for about thirty years. Two years ago she was diagnosed again and it only got worse. Back in October we found out her cancer had become terminal. They stopped all treatments and put her on hospice. She fought for two months and the day after Christmas she passed away. I also have three other great-aunts who are either battling currently, or have passed away from breast cancer. When I read an article about it last night I started crying I was so disgusted. I’m so angry, but we all just need to unite and fight this, because at the end of the day millions of women could find out they have breast cancer and don’t have the means to get treatment.

8. February 2, 2012 9:19 pm

I totally agree with you.