6-10 servings of what??

January 26, 2012
tags:

It seems like within the last week I have had several people ask me how I get the recommended amount of vegetables (6-10 servings) in my daily diet. For me, this is really really simple. I actually struggle much more with fruit than I do with veggies.

But I do two things to ensure veggie success!

1. I add 2 cups of spinach to every smoothie I make. You can’t taste it and BAM 2 servings right there. Score.

2. I make a ginormous salad every single day for either lunch or dinner. I change up what goes in the salad and what the main protein is but I eat one every day. 6-10 servings…I got this.

Yesterday I had my salad for dinner. Here are the deets:

• 3 cups mixed greens
  • 5 baby carrots (chopped)
  • 1/2 squash (sliced and then halved)
  • 1/4 cup mushrooms and 1/4 cup onions (sautéed in olive oil for flavah!)
  • 1 Tbsp. black olives
  • handful of roasted brussels sprouts
  • 2-3 Tbsp. hummus (dalloped all around)
  • 1 Tbsp. sliced almonds
  • 1 Tbsp. craisins
  • 4 oz. grilled chicken breast
  • 2 Tbsp. of this dressing

It tastes awesome and believe me it is filling! But the point is you can put anything in there…mix and match to your heart’s desire. Salads don’t have to be boring nor do they have to be filled with unhealthy ingredients to taste good.

Are you a salad eater?

How do you get all your veggies in?

1. January 26, 2012 8:19 am

I definitely eat more veggies than fruit. I sometimes will eat a banana or an apple for a snack, but that’s really it.

I’m not sure that I get 10 servings of veggies. 6 probably but 10 probably not.

2. January 26, 2012 8:29 am

I try to have at least one salad a day as well. I actually find it easier to get fruit it… I guess because I love apples and clementines and they are so portable.

3. January 26, 2012 10:10 am

I’ve never had an issue getting enough veggies. I love them, and eat them all day long. My problem has always been getting enough protein. I’m much better about it now, but I still try and pay close attention to make sure I get enough.

4. January 26, 2012 10:23 am

I’m impressed!! Some days are better than others for me…sometimes it seems like I’m eating veggies left and right, and other days I barely get two or three servings in. I agree about the green smoothies– I automatically feel better when I have one of those first thing in the morning!

5. Maggie Tate permalink
    January 26, 2012 10:55 am

Love the idea of adding the roasted/sauteed veggies!

• January 26, 2012 8:22 pm

YES! It adds a different texture having a cooked veggie in with all the raw ones. Although ask Keith how he feels about brussels sprouts…haha!

6. January 26, 2012 11:46 am

Ginormous salads!! And bowls upon bowls of roasted vegetables. I try to eat one mainly veggie meal a day and hope that covers it.

• January 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Me too!! One veggie meal is a day the way to go!

7. January 26, 2012 12:09 pm

I eat salad way more in the summer/spring, but I do the same thing with soups- throw all kinds of veggies in and usually I end up pureeing it all anyways.

8. January 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Although I’m a salad eater there are days when I want hot food. I usually have all kinds of home made soup bases in the freezer that I reheat and pack with a boat load of veggies.

9. January 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I always eat my veggies! I also always make salads that are huge. I cram as much stuff as I possibly can onto a plate!

10. January 26, 2012 3:16 pm

I add spinach to smoothies too. It’s so easy and if I don’t have spinach I use frozen broccoli. Sounds weird but I promise you’ll never know.

11. January 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I have no problem getting my fruits and veggies in…mostly because I am lazy and it’s easier to reach for a carrot than to actually cook something!

12. January 26, 2012 8:15 pm

I go through phases with salads… I’ll have a couple of weeks where they actually upset my stomach and just the thought of one makes me nauseated. Then I’ll have a few weeks where all I want is salad once or twice a day.

I do LOVE putting spinach in smoothies. Its so good for your skin, too!

• January 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Well that’s a double bonus about the spinach!! WooHoo!