ups & downs

May 19, 2011

Day 30 of the 30 day challenge is to talk about my highs and lows of these past 30 days.  I feel like I already did this one. Oh wait…I did. Day 17 was my highs and lows of the past year. Do I really have to do this again…she wines…and no I don’t. This month was fine. Just a month. Not terrible not fantastic. It just was. Meh. Sorry…not exactly the answer you were looking for. But sometimes I like just ordinary months. It doesn’t always have to be great or always have to be bad. It can just be. And to be 100% honest it has taken me a long time to be okay with just ordinary. Not every day or month has to fall perfectly into a certain category. Keith says I live a lot of my life in the far corners of extremes and I miss out on a lot of the middle. So these past 30 day were right smack in the middle and you know what? That’s okay with me.

But one thing  that has taken control of my life this month is a man named Jack Reacher. I have become obsessed (quite literally obsessed) with the Jack Reacher novels written by Lee Child. For reals, guys these books are amazing!! There are 15 books in the series with number 16 coming out this fall. I have read 7 of them in literally the last 30 days. I can NOT put them down. They are all between 400-500 pages and they read fast. The stories follow a man named Jack Reacher. He is an ex-military cop who lives the life of an invisible civilian and gets himself into interesting suspenseful situations. These books are action packed, always with a fun love interest, and leave you on the edge of your seat! Rumor has it that the book One Shot has been sold to Hollywood for movie rights!

Jack Reacher Novels

11. Bad Luck and Trouble
  12. Nothing To Lose
  13. Gone Tomorrow
  14. 61 Hours
  15. Worth Dying For
  16. The Affair <—coming in September 2011

Do you like book series? I do! I hate it when a good book ends because I always want to know what keeps happening in the character’s lives (and yes  Keith I know they are NOT real people) 🙂

1. May 19, 2011 7:08 am

Yes I love a good book series, but even a single really good book will cause me to miss the characters when I’m done! I haven’t heard of this series, but I’ll have to check it out.

This may seem totally weird, but its kind of like when a blog I’ve been reading suddenly disappears, I just want to know they’re alright because I’ve gotten attached – even if I don’t know them in real life, or even if they’re just fictional characters in a book….kind of the same feeling…?

• May 19, 2011 8:57 am

Want to hear something so morbid? I always wonder what would happen if I died. Like I wonder how would people on my blog know that I died or how would my FB page know? I know…morbid.

2. May 19, 2011 7:33 am

I completely understand about living life in the extreme, either really happy or kind of “down in the dumps” and forgetting about the whole middle part. I feel I can relate that to other aspects of my life as well, like with exercising. For the past few years, I have “needed” each workout to be a strenuous ordeal that leaves my body exhausted and sore. Those are fine once in awhile, but I was doing them almost every day of the week, with no rest days and finally my body has told me ENOUGH. I have been so tired lately and I know it’s from over-exercising. I have to keep reminding myself that each workout does not have to be to the extreme, and resting is part of the process as well.
    Also, thank you for the series recommendation! I love getting into a book series, because it leaves you with a bunch of books to read for awhile, and like you said, you always want to know what happens to the character. I, along with half the world, love love loveee the Harry Potter series. I re-read them every single summer and am errr obsessed 🙂
    I’m sorry but the movies just do not compare! <– My humble opinion 😉

• May 19, 2011 9:00 am

Movies never do compare ever!

As for exercise….overexercising is a hard trap to break out of. But you can do it!! You have to remember that your body doesn’t like to be in a constantly stressed state. The more you exercise without allowing your body to heal and recover the more stressed your body becomes. Over exercising doesn’t make your body happy and done for continous periods can cause real hormonal problem like excess coristol production, fertility interruption and thyroid issues. Allow yourself to take a break and find the “want” in exercise instead of the “need”. HUGS!!

3. May 19, 2011 7:55 am

I definitely seem to live in the extremes too — and I also spend time dwelling on the past and thinking about the future — and I need to just enjoy what I have and live in the moment. That is a work in progress for sure!

I love book series — I’ll have to check those out! I’m always looking for recommendations.

• May 19, 2011 9:01 am

Me too Holly! Me too. I am really working on enjoying the here and now!!

4. May 19, 2011 8:14 am

I love reading!! I go through phases of reading series and just reading stand alone books. I’m reading an easy stand alone book right now (Everyone Worth Knowing) but am always looking for good series!

I’ve loved reading your 30 days (even though I’ve been busy and haven’t always commented, I think I’ve read most of them)! I am hoping to get back to it in the next few weeks once things settle down.

• May 19, 2011 9:02 am

I know you’ve been busy Tara…but thanks for still taking time to read my 30 day challenge. I ❤ U!

5. May 19, 2011 8:17 am

I am obsessed with a series by Joanne Fluke. They are all murder mysteries, but they are light-hearted and the characters are awesome! They all have food names, like “The Blueberry Muffin Murder” and there are recipes throughout all of the books. I love a good serious mystery, but these are fun and good for me to read when I’m home alone since I tend to freak myself with ones that are too serious! Haha!

6. May 19, 2011 9:24 am

Love love love Jack Reacher. Read them in series and just finished Nothing To Lose. I have the other three, and obviously waiting for The Affair to come out.

If you love Reacher, you might also like the try the Jonathan Quinn series by Brett Battles. First one is called The Cleaner. I find them even harder to put down than the Jack Reacher books !!!

• May 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for the tip!! I love Jack Reacher…so far my favorite one is Bad Luck & Trouble!

7. May 19, 2011 10:10 am

Oooo thanks for the book recommendation! I’m always looking for something new to read! You should read lone survivor (I forget if you siad you had already or not) but it is incredible!! I might have to check these out too! Thanks!

8. May 19, 2011 10:35 am

I LOVE reading a good book series. Its fun to be able to keep up with characters you already know. They may not be real, but I feel like I know them anyhow. 🙂

9. May 19, 2011 11:05 am

I love reading anything, but series’ are great. I’ve loved them since the Babysitters Club!

• May 19, 2011 11:35 am

Me too! I could still kick myself for giving all my Babysitter Club books to Goodwill. That was several years ago…what was I thinking?!

10. May 19, 2011 11:43 am

It’s been a long time since I’ve read a novel series, this one sounds lovely! I love getting “involved” in the stories and ending up sitting on the edge of my seat 🙂

Kelly I can totally relate to having difficulty getting used to being okay with normal. It’s coming around 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing! What’s your blogging plan now that you’re done with the 30 days? 🙂

11. Paula permalink
    May 20, 2011 6:16 am

Yeah Kelly!! It’s good to understand that life often is just ok 🙂 It’s the value you put to the things you do, feel, think… I hope you’ll get the baby you are hoping for. I am also “reproductively challenged” (I like how Charlotte put it) but quite ok with it because I have known it since I was 20 years old. Love and hugs!

1. the most magical place on earth « What Kelly Said