drama mama

March 29, 2011

What’s up? Currently I am blogging from Starbucks…thank you free WiFi…and lot so coffee because my house is being cleaned. And as with all things “Kelly” there is a story there.

You see, I will full on admit that I am not a cleaner. I hate it, I hate it so much that usually Keith cleans with me just so I don’t have to remind him that I cleaned the house alone. Yeah…I am that wife. When we bought our house 4 years ago I demanded begged for a cleaning service. Keith, in the oh-we-just-got-married-6-months-ago-and-I -can’t-say-no-to-my-beautiful-bride stage, said yes! I was in heaven! Every 2 weeks a crew came and while I was at work cleaned my house from top to bottom. My favorite days were walking into the door and smelling the fresh lemon scent of cleanliness. Nevermind that I had to keep rearranging my picture frames (after 1 year you would have thought at some point they would have remembered where things went) it was clean and I didn’t have to do it. Roll your eyes if you want…I am not denying my brattiness. Rememeber…I have been dubbed Bratty McBratterson.

Anyway….one night I came home from work. I was tired but my house had been cleaned! Hallelujah! I ate dinner with a smile on my face, kissed Keith goodnight and trudged upstairs to unplug before going to bed. Every night before hopping in bed to read I would take my birth control pill. That night was no different. I brushed my teeth, washed my face and opened my birth control pack only to find it empty?? What the hell? I had just refilled the prescription the day before. I know I did. I went downstairs and asked Keith about it, to which I got a blank stare. Then it was like a thought passed between us…surely the housekeeper didn’t steel an entire pack of fresh birth control pills. My pills. Really? Surely not.

Keith was convinced that I had just misplaced them, but c’mon ladies you don’t save empty birth control pill packs…you throw them out right? I knew I had refilled it and I knew they were now gone.  After some tears of frustration Keith called the company and asked to speak with the manager. He assured us his daughter (the lady who cleaned out house) did not take those pills. Awkward situation no doubt. I hung up frustrated and annoyed. I called the Pharmacy and asked if I could get another pack and it was comfirmed that I had just purchased a pack the day before. But my insurance only approves one pack a month. In the end I had to pay full (non insured) rates for my birth control pack. Annoyed.

The next night during dinner, our doorbell rings. And there on my door is the man and his daughter. She sheepishly hands me back a half empty pack of pills and he refunds our money from the cleaning the day before. He apologizes profusely. She never looks me in the eye because we both know the pack was full and now it is half empty. But I don’t say anything. I figure she is already in enough trouble. Keith and I discuss and realize that we can’t ask them to come back. A trust had been broken and we no longer felt comfortable with them in our home. Granted it was ony birth control pills but it still made us very uneasy. Keith assured me we would find another cleaning service, not to worry.

That was 3 years ago and we haven’t had another cleaning service since. Had I known that that incident would stop me from getting another housekseeper I would have bought the birth control pills for the woman myself! Keith is no longer in that oh-we-just-got-married-6-months-ago-and-I -can’t-say-no-to-my-beautiful-bride stage and has now moved into the we’ve-been-married-5-years-the-economy-sucks-and-we-don’t-need-to-spend-money-on-a-cleaning-service stage. [Insert wails from Kelly].

So, for Christmas my mom got me a 8 hour detailed house cleaning (yes I asked for this) and today is the day I cashed in! BLISS! Hummm, I wonder if they will work for birth control pills?

**Edited to add: I did not mean to offend anyone with the term “maid” and have changed the language to be more respectful of that profession.**

About these ads
  1. March 29, 2011 9:13 am

Welcome back to the blogging world! Last I checked you had sliced your finger!! Glad you are back!

Wow, BC pills? Really? Well, at least you are taking advantage of a cleaning service today! Totally jealous since my parents are coming to visit in a few days!

2. March 29, 2011 9:27 am

ha ha… I hope everything is in it’s rightful place when you get back. :p
    I think the maid service is a great idea. If you have a good service (obviously). But my ex’s mom used to hire one and she would clean the day before the maid got there… bc the mail “wouldn’t put things where they need to be”. I understand the organization issue, but cleaning? Doesn’t that sort of defeat the point?

3. March 29, 2011 9:27 am

LOL. Who would want to steal that?

4. March 29, 2011 10:44 am

Aw no. I cannot imagine the feeling of someone stealing from you like that. This is what I am worried about – if I have someone come into my home when I am not there, rummaging through my things. It’s hard for me to trust people to come into my house like that.

I swear when Scott and I buy a home, I’m going to cut out on other expenditures and hire a maid myself. I’ve told him this in advance and he said it’s a waste of money. Probably because HE doesn’t clean, and doesn’t know how much I do. It’s exhausting, and I often leave it too long lol – which creates more work! Bah.

5. March 29, 2011 11:02 am

Aww, this story sucks. I totally understand what you are saying. But, my sister owns a cleaning business and everytime I hear a story like this it makes me so mad at those people, because they give cleaning ladies (ahem, not *maids*) a bad rep. I know that isn’t your intention, and I am being hyper sensitive because of my sister.

Poor girl though. She must have been so ashamed! And with her father?!?!

• March 29, 2011 11:56 am

SORRY!!!! I didn’t mean to offend you. I will go edit my post now!

6. March 29, 2011 11:32 am

That is a sad and bazaar story. I feel sorry too for the girl. We use the word “housekeeper.”

• March 29, 2011 11:57 am

Sorry Marci! I didn’t mean to offend! I meant nothing bad by using the word “maid” and I will go edit the posting!

7. March 29, 2011 12:15 pm

hold up. half the pack was gone the next day?? was she trying to use them as plan b or something???

• March 29, 2011 12:16 pm

YES! Half the pack…I am not sure what she needed them for….I felt really bad for her!

• March 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Oh and I wanted to tell you that I think my comments on your blog go to spam! :(

8. March 29, 2011 12:19 pm

That is so bizarre.

I’m weary of having anyone in my house when I’m not there. I guess I remember how much I snooped around when I babysat!

• March 29, 2011 12:28 pm

haha!!! That’s funny! Now people probably have camera’s for the babysitters. I would be scared to babysit nowadays!

9. March 29, 2011 2:47 pm

How awkward! I’d be super uncomfortable about that too. I mean, I understand being afraid to go out and buy your own, but stealing someones birth control is weird. Its not even like she was going and taking one single condom, she had to know you’d notice.

10. March 29, 2011 4:02 pm

That sucks but I completely understand why you would be hesitant to get someone else. My life feels so much less stressed since we started having a cleaning lady, I never want to go without!

11. March 29, 2011 5:23 pm

ahhh, I remember that story! Girl, I am so freakin pumped for you! Thats the best gift ever! That smell is priceless. :)

12. March 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I have a cleaning lady that comes every 2 months or so …sometimes more. it just makes life so much easier!

13. March 29, 2011 8:44 pm

I love having someone come clean the house. My problem is that I can’t keep the house picked up during the 2 weeks in between her coming and it’s a CHORE to get everything picked up that day before. I’m working on it…but feel like that is my constant failure. Talk about what I beat myself up over…

• March 30, 2011 9:55 am

You are not a constant failure. My house gets really messy and I don’t have a 2 year old running around!!! :)

14. Kalli permalink
    March 29, 2011 9:03 pm

kelly you are back! yay! love this post…..i like you have to have someone clean my house and i have some funny stories to share about it. thankfully no BC pills have been stolen though :)

15. March 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Wow! That’s a hilarious/awkward story. Thanks for sharing! I do hope you get a cleaning lady soon. My house is only 1800 square feet, and I can barely keep up with it. Every time I think about how much I want a bigger house, I think, “but I would have to clean it!” Ugh. I totally understand your loathing of cleaning!

16. Stephanie permalink
    April 1, 2011 11:48 am

Kelly – I just saw this post and had to comment. I had my birth control stolen when I was in college, and I never found out with certainty who did it. Although, I have a pretty good idea. Anyway, then I got my prescription filled at the student clinic because I could get three months at a time for $10/each. So I had three refills in a bag on the top shelf of the cabinet in Mike’s bathroom because I was living there at the time and when I went to put a new pack in my case the bag was there the pills were not! The clinic would not let me fill there for the next three months and I had to pay full price for the next three months at a different pharmacy. In college $40/month was a tough pill to swallow!

Glad you got your house cleaned. Hope you found everything where you left it. I too miss my cleaning service.

17. April 9, 2011 6:07 pm

Wow, that is pretty sad. I hope she didn’t hurt herself by taking 1/2 a pack of pills.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,425 other followers